Parenting. Baking. Cooking.

Sunday 26 February 2012

Mini Baked Orange Doughnuts

One of my favourite past time during lunch hour is to go baking-supplies-browsing / grocery shopping at Jaya Grocer which is just across my office. So while I was browsing the products at the baking supplies aisle, this cute little pan caught my attention!
 
Wilton Mini Doughnut Pan
For a moment I thought to myself, "I thought doughnuts are supposed to be fried?". I flipped the pan, and I saw a recipe provided at the back of the packaging. Baked doughnuts seemed to be a good idea and a healthier choice for my kiddo. Although the pan is rather expensive, RM60+, but I still bought it anyway.

And being me, I waited anxiously for the weekend to come so that I could try out the pan and the recipes (I googled a few more!). I found this recipe which was also adapted from Wilton, so I decided to try it out.
 
 
See how cute the doughnuts turned out to be! And the texture is soft and fluffy with a very nice orange fragrant. I decorated some of them to make them attractive for the lil kiddo, but to my surprise he loves 'em plain and had 4 pieces at one go! So, here's the recipe:

 
MINI BAKED ORANGE DOUGHNUTS

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 orange
1 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. of vanilla

METHOD:
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl combine sugar and orange zest until the sugar is moistened and fragrant.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in sugar mixture.
4. Add buttermilk, egg, butter, and vanilla and stir until just combined.
5. Fill each donut cup approximately half full. For easier filling, add the batter to a piping bag and pipe it into the pan.
6. Bake 4–6 minutes or until the top of the doughnuts spring back when touched.
7. Let cool in pan for 4–5 minutes before removing. Decorate the doughnuts with glaze, sprinkles, or cinnamon sugar.

Note:
* Even though the pan is some-what like a non-stick pan, but it's best grease the pan before hand either with butter or baking spray.
* The left-over buttermilk in the carton can be freezed and kept until the next usage. Thaw entirely before using.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© A Mommy's Journey, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena